Monday, October 12, 2015

Invisalign, week one

For a long time, I've hated the way my teeth look. Specifically, my top front teeth. My upper left tooth has always (or for as long as I can remember) overlapped my right front tooth, and most of the time it's not very noticeable. But when I turn my head or if you're up close, it's very obvious. And over the years, it's slowly gotten worse. The rest of my teeth are straight and I see why my mom spared me the struggle of metal braces when I was younger, especially when my front teeth were barely crooked then. But recently, at a dental cleaning, my dentist asked me about it. When I said that yes, I have noticed it worsening over time, he told me that most likely the top left tooth will keep turning and may cause me troubles eating when I'm older. After speaking with Jay, we decided that now was as good a time as any to fix it. And so we began my Invisalign journey.

From my wedding day, and all I can see is my crooked tooth
At my consultation, I had measurements of my mouth taken as well as molds done. The dentist puts a liquid foam into a tray then pushes it onto your teeth, where it hardens before being taken out. It took several tries because my mouth is small (so they say), but eventually they had everything they needed. Maybe it's because I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, but it took a little longer than expected to receive my Invisalign kit. Once it came in, I made an appointment to receive my first aligners.

Now, here is where I'm a little annoyed with things (for several reasons). First, the Invisalign commercials make it sound so easy to use their system. And perhaps it will be one day. But what they don't tell you is that you have to have "buttons" or "anchors" attached to your teeth like with traditional braces. What they don't tell you is that it ISN'T as easy as popping your trays in and out. Aligners have to be removed before eating anything and drinking anything other than water. And it isn't so easy trying to remove a tray molded to your teeth and anchored on.

Second, the dentist failed to inform me that not only would I be getting "buttons" put on my teeth to help with my Invisalign but I'd also be having my teeth shaved in between them to alleviate the crowding problem I have. So imagine my surprise when I open my mouth and the dentist begins using a very thick saw in between two of my top teeth. Then came the sand paper floss. Let me tell you, that is not a sound I care to ever hear again (but unfortunately, I will because I have to keep making room for my front tooth to be pushed back into place). Once I voiced my unease ("I'm freaking out here"), the dentist took the time to explain why he was sawing away my teeth and we were on our way again.

The first few days with my trays in were not pleasant. In fact, I'd say they were downright painful. I guess when you've had teeth in place for twenty-some years, they're going to put up a fight when you try to move them. Taking out the aligners to eat was agony, almost to the point that I dreaded eating and would rather be hungry (another thing they don't tell you). Eating with them in, if I had been desperate enough, was not a possibility. So for a few days, I was stuck on a diet of bananas, soft bread, and yogurt, which was still difficult to eat. I had sores and ulcers all through my mouth from the buttons rubbing my gums when my trays were out and from the top of the Invisalign rubbing when they were in. 

At about day four or five, things started getting better. Taking the trays out no longer hurt- it was just disgusting because of the strings of spit that come out with them. It was at this time I started to notice plaque building up on the trays. I had been scrubbing them after almost every meal and soaking then daily in Polident, but I found that a solution of half white vinegar, half warm water then some brushing with a baby toothbrush brings off the plaque nicely. I've also traded the Polident for Retainer Brite, which I've found through my online searches has a better reputation for keeping your aligners clear. Now, the biggest pain about these things is having to remove them for every drink or food I want to eat. It's even harder to make dinner because I can't taste test stuff like I used to. No more munching on Evie's leftovers or snacking. I really have to commit to eating when I want to, which goes against everything I am (I'm definitely a grazer, always have been). This leads to me either not eating enough or leaving my trays out too long. The ideal time in is 22 hours/day, but who is able to manage that?? 

Tray number one
Ok, so forgive the goofy picture above. I never remember to take a picture of my teeth until I'm in bed in my glasses and sweats. But that is tray one, and I will be switching trays every two weeks. I have twenty-one trays for the top teeth and eighteen for the bottom teeth, then I'll be evaluated for either more trays or a retainer. People say that I'll be able to see a different pretty quickly. I'm on day eleven of my treatment and I'm starting to get comfortable with everything and get into a good routine. See you at the next check-in!


No comments:

Post a Comment