Monday, January 25, 2016

Home for the Holidays

Being that it's one month since Christmas, I figured my time to write about the holidays is quickly fading. So here is a quick post about our fun trip home for Christmas.


We started our journey with the usual red-eye flight from Honolulu to Baltimore. Evie was much more aware of being in an airplane this time and it was fun to watch her watch us flying over Oahu. She kept pointing and saying "Waikiki!" even the next morning when we were flying over Ohio. We landed in Chicago before 5am the next morning, where snow was covering the ground; talk about a change of scenery! We ended up having our flight to BWI be rescheduled, increasing our layover by a couple hours. Evie handled it like a champ by playing in the USO (which, by the way, had a very kind staff at ORD). She slept the entire flight to BWI (even through the turbulence that had me queasy). We landed and were greeted by grandma, a welcome sight indeed!

We got to Hagerstown and quickly settled into our surroundings. It may have been cold and the pool may have been closed, but that didn't keep us from having fun. The first week we were home we went to the South Mountain Creamery for ice cream and to feed the baby cows. At 4pm daily, you can help the staff give the new cows their bottles, and they are certainly hungry for them! I thought the one was going to throw me across the barn he was so strong.



The second weekend we were home, me, my sister, Aunt, and cousin ran the Reindeer Run downtown. Of course, I ran embarrassingly slow but I came in under my last 5K time (which was 3 years ago). The next day we went to Hershey Park for the Candylane lights. It was so beautiful! Evie went on some rides and had a great time looking at the "pretty lights."

Luminaries at Resthaven

She's a Hershey miniature

After the Reindeer Run 5K

Lights at Hershey
On Christmas Eve, Santa came to visit the kids at the Miller's house. Evie wasn't scared but she also wasn't thrilled with Santa. I don't think she makes the connection between Santa and presents yet. But she definitely enjoyed getting presents this year! And since many things had to be mailed to Hawaii and reopened, she's gotten used to the phrases "another present" and "new toy." 

Annual Wolford Christmas Eve shot


We did a lot of things in our short time home, and if I had blogged when I first got back to Hawaii I'm sure I'd remember them better. Our time at home always goes too quickly but now that we're back in Hawaii, I'm looking forward to Grandma's visit in February and then planning our next trip home. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for saying this, but I wish we had been home for the blizzard of 2016 (just not the clean-up). We didn't get any snow at Christmas and I think the disappointment from that is making me wish we had been home for the blizzard to have a fire and play games with everyone. There's always next Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment